On entry into Maharishi University of Management, every entering and readmit student is required to be placed in mathematics according to the following rules:
1. If a student’s transcript at the time of entry to MUM shows a mathematics course at the 100 level or above with grade C or above, taught by the Mathematics Department at another accredited university or college, then that student is deemed to have satisfied the distribution requirement in mathematics. (Such a course will have prefix MATH, MAT, MTH, etc., but not STA, STAT, BUS, MAN, BMAT, etc.) If such a student has declared a major at M.U.M. that does not require further mathematics, then a placement test is not required and the student does not need to take any mathematics courses while at M.U.M. (Such a student may choose whether to be placed in mathematics at this time or not. If he or she chooses not to be placed at this time, and then later switches to or adds a major that requires mathematics, he or she must be placed in mathematics before being allowed to enroll for any course with a mathematics prerequisite.)
2. A student who signs a waiver agreeing to be placed into the lowest level Math 051 Basic Mathematics is not required to take the math placement test.
3. A student who is being readmitted to M.U.M. after an absence of one year or less, and who was previously placed, is not required to take a math placement test, unless he or she wishes to. The previous placement is still valid. Students readmitted after an absence of more than one year need to be placed again.
4. A student who, within the past two years, achieved a score of
- 4 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Test in Calculus AB or BC, or
- 60% or above in the CLEP Calculus Test, or
- 5 or above on the IB HL Mathematics Exam
is not required to take a mathematics placement test. Placement will depend on the topics tested.
5. A student who, within the past two years, achieved a score of
- 44 – 100 on the COMPASS PreAlgebra Mathematics Test may waive Math 051 Basic Mathematics,
- 46 – 65 on the COMPASS Algebra Mathematics Test may waive Math 152 Elementary Algebra,
- 66 – 100 on the COMPASS Algebra Mathematics Test may waive Math 153 Intermediate Algebra.
Such students are not required to take a mathematics placement test, unless they wish to.
6. If a student has not yet declared a major, or will be taking any mathematics course numbered 282 or less, or any course requiring a mathematics prerequisite numbered 282 or less, that student is required to take a math placement test on entry to M.U.M. The results of the placement test (not transfer credit) will determine that student’s math placement.
7. If a student has completed the equivalent of Math 267 Geometry, Math 272 Discrete Mathematics, or any mathematics course numbered Math 283 or above with a grade of C or above, at another accredited university or college, then transfer credit will be given on a case-by-case basis, depending in part on the grade obtained and how long ago the course was completed. Such a student may or may not be required to take a placement test.
8. Further placement testing. Any student, who is not satisfied with his or her math placement, has the option to study on his or her own and take further placement tests in the specific courses Math 051, Math 152, Math 153, Math 161, Math 162. The student may take a maximum of one additional test at each of these levels. There are no additional tests for calculus.